Friday, May 29, 2009 | By: Megan K Leavitt

The Price of Love According to J.H. Outfitters

So today I was once again working at the smaller (and much less exciting) store that is part of where I work. In my boredom I started looking up random things in the store's computer database. Then an idea came to mind, and I typed the word "love." More than two dozen items came up with the word love in it, but ten of them just had the word love. The total amount that these ten items rang up to was $163.20.

Yes, this really is how bored I was at work- and sadly enough this only took a couple minutes, but it brought up a few good food for thought questions.

What is the cost of love? I don't mean in dollars and cents, but in a less literal way. What does it cost to love?

Once I heard that love is ultimately giving someone else the power to break you, but trusting them with that power anyway. So really the cost of love is yourself. Whether that is your time, patience, a hug, or a kiss the cost of love is what you're willing to give. Thats a bit more than $163.20 dontcha think?

4 comments:

Mishel said...

This isn't quite the same, but came to mind and I have it nearby. A quote by the great C.S. Lewis:

To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket- safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. The Alternative to tragedy, or at least to the risk of tragedy, is damnation. The only place outside of Heaven where you can be perfectly safe from all the dangers and perturbations of love is Hell.

Strong emotion is unnerving, but I guess it's better than the alternative.

Megan K Leavitt said...

Thats good insight, and C.S. Lewis is a genius.

On a different note, I was just wondering... and not in a bad way cause I'm flattered that you read my blog, but do I know you?

Mishel said...

No worries Megan, this is Michelle Tyler- I saw your link from Brooke's blog.

Megan K Leavitt said...

Hahaha oh good, I thought it might be you but I wasn't entirely sure so it made me a little worried. But no longer :)