This might be a bit of a delayed reaction, but oh well. Today I was reading an article that my dad sent me. It was an article written by an LDS Los Angeles Police Department detective supervisor in response to Proposition 8 and everything that followed its passing. I couldn't help but notice how many times this man used the word 'tolerance' in regards to those against Proposition 8, and mostly how we hope for just that- tolerance of our deep rooted beliefs.
My junior year of high school in my english class we had a discussion about people in general and tolerance of others and their beliefs. My teacher, a Ms. Margaret Pratt said something that I will never forget. She said: "I hate the word 'tolerate'. We tolerate flies, not human beings. Stretch yourselves out a bit and try for something more than 'tolerant'."
I could not agree more. So lets stretch ourselves today and try for something more than just 'tolerance'. Maybe compassion? Perhaps even love.
Those Who Wander
12 years ago
2 comments:
I agree! How are you Megan? I found your blog from looking at the family pictures on Mindy's friends blog. I love reading your thoughts, I hope you don't mind. See you later today for turkey and pie! Happy Thanksgiving, Love ya!
I read that same article, and being here at college with no tv (aka, no news of the outside world), I had no idea it was that bad! It was disturbing to see such hatred just for standing up for a belief. But I totally concur with what you said. Ha ha, words of wisdom from Pratt are rare, but that phrase was a gem.
Post a Comment