Wednesday, March 30, 2011 | By: Megan K Leavitt

I think Bob Marley Had it Right


Someone posted Bob Marley's song "One Love" on facebook. It's a good song, but it's not just the song that I began thinking about. I recently finished a book entitled A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier written by Ishmael Beah. This book is fantastic. It's heartrendingly truthful, and eye-opening. If you haven't read it, I suggest you do. This is a true account of a boy who was forced to join the army from ages eleven to fifteen. Literally his childhood was gone. Even through this, Ishmael Beah had the opportunity to overcome the horrific details of his past life.

You're probably wondering what this has to do with Bob Marley. Before the time of Beah's "war years" he and his country of Sierra Leone were greatly influenced by reggae, especially Bob Marley. So, there's the tie. This book illustrates humanity. More than that it helps people ten thousand miles away understand someone else, which is probably why I love this book so much. Anyway, read this and then listen to Bob Marley's "One Love," you won't regret it.

0 comments: