Friday, June 25, 2010 | By: Megan K Leavitt

It's just like riding a bike

I like this phrase. For some things it's true, you just don't forget how to do them. Riding a bike is definitely one of them. However, I think the phrase "It's just like playing the piano" should also be a phrase, but it should be for things that are not easily remembered. I've found that going two plus years without a piano has really limited my piano playing abilities. I can't remember a lot of the theory and the actually execution for me has become nearly painful. Now, don't take this the wrong way, I was never proficient in playing the piano, but I could definitely hold my own. Sadly, I have tried my hand at the piano this summer and it hasn't gone over too well (I think my little brother is close to issuing a written plea for me to cease and desist).

That's why I think there should be the phrase "It's just like playing the piano" for things that are easily forgotten, or I suppose things that need to be constantly practiced.

I found myself relating this to the gospel. I think the gospel is just like playing the piano. It is easily forgotten without the hours of practice that parents may at first have forced us to complete. It's far too easy to forget how to pray without actually praying, or fall further from the scriptures without actually picking them up on a regular basis. This was just a tidbit that I had in my head.

The gospel is just like playing the piano. Who would think you'd have to practice and persist?

0 comments: