Wednesday, March 3, 2010 | By: Megan K Leavitt

Thanks for the Advice, but...

I've recently come to an important conclusion. I am very susceptible to advice, especially from people whom I hold in high esteem. They tell me what they think I should do in a given situation- and granted, sometimes I plead for advice, but other times they give it; and seemingly without thinking of the consequences in my own life, I take the advice. I do what this person thinks would be best for me in my life. Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate advice, otherwise I wouldn't solicit it. However,I've come to the conclusion that I want to make my own decisions independent of anyone's opinions. In all reality, no one can tell me what I should do, what I believe, or how I should go about a certain situation.

This was actually sparked by a relatively small thing. My roommate suggested that I wear sandals because it was a sunny day. Even though I knew it would still be freezing (because in Logan, Utah sunshine does not equal warmth) I wore them. And frankly, I was kinda miserable. It was a fun idea, but not really what I wanted to do. By the end of the sunny but freezing day my toes hurt so bad I didn't want to move. And I do this a lot. I might even know that it's something I don't really want to do, but I do it anyway. The person giving the advice usually has my best interest at heart, but sometimes it's just not right for me, and I suppose I don't realize that.

I think I'm writing this so I can remember. I need to do what I want to do because I want to do it... if that makes sense, and I think writing it down helps. I don't want to do anything that I honestly don't want to do, or anything that doesn't fit in my life for me right now. I am done jumping face first into someone else's well meant advice. This includes wearing Chaco's in February just because it's sunny. I still love ya Fanky ;)

0 comments: