I dunno if this title makes any sense at all, but this subject has come up in my head a couple times while contemplating the car that is currently in my possession. I think people are like the cars they drive. I know this isn't a new concept or anything, but I'd like to give my two cents on the subject and I have a few examples to back up my argument.
Let's take me for example. I drive a white Nissan couldn't-tell-you-the-numbers/letters-that-follow-that-title-to-save-my-life (or the year for that matter, maybe a 97?) Anyway, I am a reflection of the car that I drive. This car is a hand-me-down, previously driven by my two elder sisters Lisa and Mindy. Story of my life- for instance of the clothes I'm wearing right now, at least four articles were given to me by one of those two sisters.
After the hand-me-down factor comes the driveability. This car is a manual stick shift, grind it till you find it kind of car- but not really cause that hurts the car... I think. Anyway, at first this car is temperamental, jerky, and seemingly hard to deal with, but once you get the feel this car is a gem to drive. In this way, I also reflect my car. When people first meet me they see me as stuck up, mean, or jerkish; however, once they get to know me its pretty easy to get along with me. (As a side note, I know this because more than two people have told me "Yeah, when I first met you I kinda thought you were a jerk- turns out you were just kinda shy or somethin." Great.)
And the final way I reflect the car I currently drive is from the music inside of it. 90 percent of the CD's that currently reside in my car are a myriad of mixed CD's that are either previously owned by my sister (surprise surprise) or random ones that my friends have given me. You will find every kind of music on these CD's, from opera to rap, country to pop, I am missing no genre I promise you (yes even techno). Needless to say I am a compilation, a mixed CD if you will of my friends and my family.
The next example I have is of one of my best friends and his white pick up truck. Once again I could not tell you the make or model of said truck (because its a truck not a car) even though he's told me, more than once. Its a Toyota, I know that. Anyway, I've found that he's pretty similar to his truck as well.
This Toyota is die hard reliable. For instance: 1) Moab, November 2008. Submerged in water to the tire rims and six hours later driving like a champ. 2) Somewhere in Ogden, sometime in August. Battery shaken loose, completely but still driving like its no ones business. A great reflection of a Mr. Marc Ortega.
After the die hard reliability factor I also would like to look at this trucks driveability in relation to its current owner. I know how to drive a stick shift... moderately well (others would beg to differ but I'm sticking with the moderately well in lieu of other adverbs such as 'awfully' or 'terribly'). So I can drive a stick shift, but this truck is hard to get the catch when you're trying to release the clutch. There's like a quarter of an inch where it actually works out, and I literally killed it I think four times before I finally started this. For me this also reflects Mr. Marc, and I'm just going to leave that to readers interpretation.
And finally, music. I think there are two or three bands that could sum up Marcs collection of music. The first, predominantly being Metallica. The next, Jimmy Eat World, and then some alternative stuff like the Format and Cary Judd. Metallica adequately represents high school Marc (in my own opinion ;)) Chops down to his chin, hair longer than mine currently is, drummer of a band, hard core Marc. And not so much that he's significantly changed from the hard core-ness, but perhaps just found a good pair of scissors and a razor. And then Jimmy Eat world, still hard core but knows how to take it down a notch or two. And finally the alternative, the Format and Cary Judd, this reflects that secretly Marc wants to wear skinny jeans.
And that is my argument, my two cents if you will, on the statement that people reflect the cars they drive. From my white Nissan something or other to Marc's white Toyota truck, we are what we drive! Love it, embrace it, deal with it :)
Those Who Wander
12 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment