Friday, January 16, 2009 | By: Megan K Leavitt

Open your mouth and say "AH"

Today I went to the doctor. If I had a list of things I hate most visiting the doctor would probably be pretty high, if not in the top 5. Not that I have anything against doctors in general, they're great and save lives and all that jazz, but for me personally nothing good has ever come from going to the doctor and today was no exception. I had been feeling really light headed and basically passed out. So I headed over to the Wellness Center escorted by a good friend (I think he mostly went to make sure I actually got there instead of turning around and walking home). Get into the office, fill out papers. And then wait. 93% of doctors visits consist of waiting. So I waited, I didn't have an appointment so I wasn't as frustrated, but still. Waiting. They call me back, the nurse asks me whats wrong, gets my height, weight, temperature, blood pressure, all that fun stuff. Now I know what the doctor is going to say when he gets in (which wasn't for at least another 20 minutes after the nurse left). He'll say "Well, we're going to need a urine sample". Woohoo, peeing in a cup, my favorite. So they run tests on my lovely pee in a cup and I sit. The doctor returns to poke and prod and ask me if this hurts, or if that hurts and then to take some deep breaths and then looks in my eyes, ears and nose - all of those, mind you, with the same instrument. He asks me to bend and twists and makes sure I have reflexes. Then he leaves for, I dunno, another 25 minutes while I sit on that crinkly paper with that ever present, overwhelming feeling of being ten years old. The nurse brings back two pieces of paper and then mumbles something uninteligable and then leaves me. Waiting. Another 15 minutes later the doctor reappears with the verdict... diagnosis, whichever you'd like to call it. He studies the paper, turns to me and says "Well, you seem to have a stuffy nose so you could be coming down with something so my advice would be to drink lots of fluid, get some extra sleep and make sure you're eating well." This is almost a word for word replication of what this physician told me. He asked me to continue to the front desk and have a nice day. The smiling nurse took my piece of paper and said "That'll be twelve dollars". It would have been more fitting if she'd just smacked me in the head and then laughed at me, but I think thats not a regular practice at the USU Student Wellness Center. So, I walk away from this building contemplating the last hour and fifteen minutes and the information gained from it. Drink lots of fluids. Man, I am ecstatic that I visited the doctor today to have a man that went to 8+ years of higher education to tell me to pee in a cup and drink more fluids. All I have to say is that that was a well spent 12 dollars.

2 comments:

Chelsea Lee said...

This made me smile. I feel the exact same way about going to the doctor. So did you pass out? How are you feeling now?

Megan K Leavitt said...

I didn't pass out, luckily. However, I did come down with something but didn't go back to the doctor. I just drank a lot of fluids and got some rest. Still feeling kinda crappy. Thanks for asking though Chels :)