Tuesday, October 21, 2008 | By: Megan K Leavitt

English Majors Part Two

So, once again just got out of my English Literature class. I've decided poetry brings out the very worst in everyone. Thats definitely not how it should be, but inevitably it is. Poetry can be taken so many different ways that everyone feels the overwhelming need to prove that the way they view it is the absolute, end-all way of perceiving that poem. Shouldn't it teach us to be more open minded? To look at things through a more broad perspective, walk a mile in someone elses shoes, that sort of thing? It doesn't though, and to me thats sad. So this is my note to everyone. Learn to look at things from a different perspective, open your eyes and stop arguing.

Bottom Line, dont be an English Major.

Aw suck.

5 comments:

Stefan said...

Haha, yes! I agree. My lit teacher is actually really good at the whole "your own interpretation" thing. It means something different to everyone based off of their own experiences and ideas. That's what makes good poetry good: the fact that all sorts of people from all different backgrounds get something out of it.

Brooke said...

Ha. Silly English majors...

Megan K Leavitt said...

Yes to Stefans comment. Thats what makes poetry great. However, so many people in my class just need to open their minds up a little, or a lot.

Stefan said...

If you want people to open their minds... Well... I suggest getting out of Utah. But of course I have kind of the same problem here. They can be really ridiculous in their liberal ways, but it's definitely not as close-minded. Seems like Utahns were close-minded about everything that they didn't personally know, and it seems like the liberals here are open-minded to everything except for the conservatives. I actually think I've been doing a good job of representing the Mormons here. I tell them all the good things about you guys and how you guys don't have horns or drink blood and whatnot. =D

Brooke said...

We don't drink blood? Hmm... must just be me then. ;)