Tuesday, October 7, 2008 | By: Megan K Leavitt

Boredom...

Ok so I realize that this is my third post in one day, but I am extremely bored. So with my boredom I was reading over a paper I wrote for my Creative Arts class. This post is mostly for Kirena Allen, who would know what I am talking about for the majority of the paper. I hope it can express how much I disliked this particular performance.

Please stay in East Village Monsieur Opera Company
If I were to write strictly upon how the music made me feel this paper would be pleasant from start to finish; however, I was not only compelled to listen to this interesting music, but I was forced to witness the performance of the two lead singers. Both AnnMarie Milazzo and Tyley Ross are amazingly talented singers, I have taken choir classes long enough to recognize the fact that they can sing in an operatic style. I was grateful for the sound quality, but it was not enough to make up for the awkward and somewhat unsophisticated way in which they actually presented the songs. I can attribute this more towards the female vocalist than to Mr. Ross. The way she dance was like sandpaper to my eyes, I could not look at her for the majority of her songs. This aspect detracted greatly from experiencing the fullness of the music.
To focus more directly on the music I can begin by saying that it was enjoyable. I use such a light and un-attached word because that’s how it made me feel. Many of the songs did not portray the zeal and exhilaration that a real opera would depict. They tried very hard to keep the passion with the songs, but in the attempt I believe they failed miserably. There was one song that touched upon this infatuation for the music, and it was the piece derived from Rigaletto. During this number, as I stared at my shoes, I could hear in the music that longing and love that seemed to be missing throughout the rest of the performance. The other songs were seriously inhibited by the choice of movements by either of the lead singers. I was thrilled to see them at times step down and witness the violin perform with such grace and eloquence in comparison to the fairly crass and harsh movements of Ms. Milazzo.
In conclusion I would have to say that it was a relatively enjoyable and a nice performance. I cannot say that the music moved me in any way. I will say the actual performing part moved me to the exit faster than usual, but the music for me was nothing particularly special or pleasurable. I did enjoy a select few of their pieces and felt that they do try to make it the similar to an actual opera, but in their attempt to ‘rock it up’ they miss the sensations of an opera. So The East Village Opera Company, in my own humble opinion was nothing special and fell a bit short of expectation. The light show was pretty remarkable though

0 comments: