Friday, September 7, 2012 | By: Megan K Leavitt

Things I've learned from Student Teaching: A Series of Comments

So the first week of actually being in front of my classes went well. On Tuesday I attended a seminar class that will count for two credits this semester. From what I gather it's mostly a support group for student teaching. At the end the teacher shared some sound advice. She told us to write this phrase on our mirror so we could see it daily: "Just keep telling yourself that you will pass student teaching and you will probably get a job. So relax." This sounds great, right? It should be reassuring, however, my scumbag brain decided to follow that statement with this from The Hunger Games: "Embrace the probability of your imminent death, and know in your heart that there's nothing I can do to save you." Thanks Haymitch for turning an inspirational quote into feelings of imminent death.

I will say that even though after my first day I really did feel like I was going to die (mostly because I was just completely physically drained) I have enjoyed my classes. Some of these kids really do just want you to get to know them, and once you do that they will try their hardest to learn from you. So far I think it's great. It really is true though, no one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.

0 comments: