Are my life right now. My sister asked me to update my blog so she could know what was going on in my life. Well, there ya go. Lesson plans are my life. Want a taste? Well you asked for it.
Lesson Plan 19
Peer Review
Objective: To help students help each other in the writing process. This gives them a good place to start when they are reviewing and editing their papers on their own.
Standards Addressed: NCTE # 4 Students adjust their use of spoken, written, and visual language (e.g., conventions, style, vocabulary) to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences and for different purposes.
Common Core: 11-12.W2. Write informative/explanatory texts to examine and convey complex ideas, concepts, and information clearly and accurately through the effective selection, organization, and analysis of content.
1. Discuss what peer reviewing means. Go over classroom rules on respect, these rules play a role in the peer review process (10 minutes).
a. There are “compliments” and then there are better compliments for a paper.
i. A compliment: “I like the font you used”
ii. A better compliment: “The examples you used to back up your argument that Miss Watson is a hero were creative and convincing!”
b. Please refer to the rubric for the specific suggestions involving word choice, details, organization etc.
c. If you are unsure about something editorial, ask me as I will be walking around during peer reviews.
Peer Edit with Perfection!
There are three steps to good peer editing:
1. Compliment the author
• What are a few things that you liked about the author’s writing?
2. Make specific suggestions regarding the author’s. Please look over the rubric for explanations of each of these points!
• Word choice
• Use of details
• Organization
• Sentence length
• Topic
3. Mark corrections on the writing piece
• Look for spelling, grammar, and punctuation mistakes. (See Editing Marks)
In addition, remember to:
• Stay positive!
• Be specific!
Copyright 2004 IRA/NCTE. All rights reserved. Image copyright 2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
ReadWriteThink materials may be reproduced for educational purposes.
2. After going over the peer review etiquette, go over symbols that should be used in editing. (5 minutes)
a. Also, squiggly line underneath means the sentence or idea is confusing.
3. Have students pair up with a copy of their paper and a copy of the peer review handout. Trade papers and complete the peer review sheet. After this have students get into another pair and complete another peer review sheet. (So by the end of the class period they should have done two, and should have two for their paper) (15 minutes).
4. In the second pair have students read the paper out loud. Reading a paper out loud can help students hear mistakes that they might have missed while just reading it silently (10 minutes).
Those Who Wander
12 years ago
2 comments:
I'm sorry, I couldn't even get through your post...no wonder you haven't been blogging. I hope you survive this time in your life! Maybe you should start posting a "what I wore today" so we can see all your cute outfits from ON since we NEVER see you. :) Soon we will, though, right? Looking forward to it! Love you!
Hahaha, Lisa, I almost commented before you, but then I was like, "no, my opinion on this will only depress her." So I'm glad you said that! haha. Sorry, Meg.
Post a Comment