
Today I re-read this book. I love it. So much. Sadly enough I wasn't introduced to this book until my second year of college when one of my professors began cleaning out her office and gave away various books. This is an incredibly good book. The main theme I've picked out of this book is the difference between "Ignorance is Bliss" and "Knowledge is Power."
My own personal beliefs strongly leave me thinking that knowledge is power, but the arguments of "the community" in the novel The Giver are compelling enough to make one believe that ignorance is bliss. That not knowing would be sublime. No pain, no suffering, neglect, sorrow any negative emotion would be ultimately eliminated in ignorance. With these eliminations of negative feelings you would also have nothing on the flipside. No true happiness, no elation, or warmth. No true love. There would be a seamlessness of the "Sameness."
I don't want to give the whole book away if you haven't read it, but it is beautiful, easy to read, and fairly short. This books encompasses attitudes about knowledge versus ignorance while tying it into humanity (sort of haha). Anyway, it is a good book. I'm determined to teach this one once I get there. This might be the beginnings of a lesson plan. I'm excited :)
0 comments:
Post a Comment