Thursday, August 5, 2010 | By: Megan K Leavitt

I Just Can't Resist

I know I talk a lot about my nieces and nephews on here, but I can't help it. They're pretty much the greatest. I was babysitting my sister's kids the other day and we were playing outside and the kiddies were on the swing set. The youngest, Mr. Lucas Jeffery proceeded to try to climb up onto the swing, without much success. So I put him on there and went back and sat down. I was seriously tired and couldn't seem to wake up properly, so I wasn't exactly jumping at the chance to get up and do much, but there are a few things I just can't resist:

A big hug.

A piece of chocolate.

And a two year old with the deepest blue eyes looking up at me and saying "Push me Meggie!" So I went over and started pushing. Another thing I can't resist "Higher Meggie!" Of course I push him as high as I think is safe and then comes the sugary sweet cherry on top. The biggest toothy grin and... "Thank you Meggie!"

And then repeat. For probably twenty minutes.

I really do love kids, and I've had so many opportunities to witness what little miracles they are.

If you didn't already know, I've been teaching swimming lessons to 3-10 year old kids. I gotta say that lately it's been trying my patience. A lot. But there are always brilliant shining moments that reminds me that I really do want to be a mom someday. I'll share one with you.

For kids that are three years old they have a half hour long class. There's usually three kids in the class and they are usually pretty good kids (there is always the occasionally crier, and there was even one little boy that threw a full on tantrum in the water... but that's another story) anyway, a couple days ago for one of my half hour classes we had a fourth student and it was her very first time swimming. She was not excited. She was so tiny for a three year old, and very vocal about the fact that she did not want to be in the pool. For these overly vocal students we pull out the big guns. Distraction. Water toys. So each kid got a toy and little Ashlynne (the screamer) calmed down. When we got to Holland's turn to go (a little girl that has attended swimming lessons for the entire summer- along with her cute siblings; I taught her older sister, anyway), she quickly hopped up, offered her toy to Ashlynne and proceeded to tell me how cute she thought Ashlynne was. When Holland's turn was over, she proceeded to tell Ashlynne herself what a cutie she thought Ashlynne was. I dunno why, but this almost made me cry. I've never wanted to hug one of my students so much. Holland has always been super sweet, but this was such an accurate display of that sweetness that I was blown away.

So in a nut shell, I guess I just can't resist these little kids. My running joke for the summer has been to say that hanging out with all these little kids is making me change my life plan. I think it's a true statement. It's made me want to be ready to have my own kids, and know how to take care of them and help them become as sweet as the kids I've gotten to play with this summer. It's also made me rethink the number of kids I want- haha the number went down instead of up in case you were wondering. Anyway, I do love kids and I'm glad I get to play with them for another couple weeks before I go back to the grown up world.

0 comments: