Wednesday, January 13, 2010 | By: Megan K Leavitt

Shakespeare...

Today I discovered why I haven't taken a Shakespeare class in over two years. It's because it is next to impossible to read, at least coherently. Here's how I started on my quest to reading The Taming of the Shrew.

First I read the character list.
Then started into the actual text.
Consulted Sparknotes.
Tried the text again.
Went to the dumbed down Sparknotes version of the character list.
Once again tried the text.
Sparknotes.
Finished the introduction and first act.

Needless to say this is going to be the most time consuming class of my life. If anyone has any tips for reading Shakespeare I would be eternally grateful.

And as a comedic side note, all I can ever think about in that class is a quote from Stardust- "My crew is thinking Shake Spear, where I'm thinking 18th century writer."

0 comments: